In the Visual Effects concentration, students will gain mastery of compositing, motion graphics, digital environment design, live-action integration, pre-visualization, industry standard workflow and visual effects skills used in the television, film and interactive gaming. The program effectively balances a holistic understanding of directing, screenwriting, production design, cinematography, and editing with the industry-specific technology and tradecraft necessary to succeed in this dynamic field.
A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. —George Lucas
Students Who Complete This Program...
- Are powerfully prepared to pursue a professional career in motion pictures as an entrepreneur with artistic sensitivity, creativity and integrity.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of visual storytelling, structure, technology and professional production skills with a creative portfolio of original digital content.
- Master the command of the various team functions and roles in film, television and commercial production with professional best practices.
- Explore a deeper study in Visual Effects that includes visual imagery in storytelling, compositing, modeling, layout, Rotoscope and set etiquette.
All degree candidates who complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film & Digital Content program with a concentration in Visual Effects will produce a series of original projects designed to build a creative digital portfolio of professionally produced content including:
- SILENT NARRATIVES SHORT FILM
- FIVE MINUTE SYNC SOUNDFILM
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE
- BRANDED DIGITAL CONTENT
- 2 FEATURE LENGTH SCREENPLAYS
- ORIGINAL WEB SERIES
- EXPERIMENTAL SHORT FILMS
- PRODUCTION DESIGN PROJECT
- CINEMATOGRAPHY REEL
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURES
- SKETCH COMEDY SHORTS
- VIDEO EFFECTS AND MOTION GRAPHICS REEL
- FIFTEEN MINUTE NARRATIVE SHORT FILM
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT ON INFLUENTIAL PRODUCER
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURE ON INFLUENTIAL DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKER
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA PROJECT
- MUSIC VIDEOS
- SPEC COMMERCIALS
- ADVANCED VFX CAPSTONE PROJECT
With a degree in Visual Effects, graduates are prepared to work in the exciting world of motion picture postproduction including film, television and interactive gaming. They will apply their understanding of storytelling principals gained through study of directing, screenwriting, production design, cinematography and editing along with their skills in cutting edge visual effects technology to work as Compositor, Concept Artist, Layout Artist, Roto Artist and Match Move Artist. Graduates are also uniquely qualified to work in the business side of visual effects, including jobs as Associate Producer, Visual Effects Supervisor, Marketing Executive or Marketing Manager.
You can also view our GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT page for more career information on jobs and possible careers that relate to this program.