Documentary Film students pursue applied studies in post-production, documentary form, research, ethics, and methodologies while developing and producing their capstone documentary project. All final short film projects at Studio School are mentored by industry professionals—who personally advise each student—from initial concept through final screening. Additionally, our Collaboration Labs are programmed for all students and are built to foster interdisciplinary creativity.
Studio School offers numerous online platforms through our industry partnerships for selected digital content created by our Directing majors to have their work featured to a large global audience as well as exclusive studio internships only available to Studio School students.
Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s. —William Shatner
Students Who Complete This Program...
- Are powerfully prepared to pursue a professional career in film, television and digital media production as an entrepreneur with artistic sensitivity, creativity, and integrity.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of visual storytelling, structure, technology and professional film production skills with a creative portfolio of original digital content.
- Master the command of the various team functions and roles in film, television and commercial production with professional best practices.
- Explore a deeper study in Documentary Film that includes narrative technique and strategies specific to documentary form as well as research, ethics and methodologies integral to the genre.
All degree candidates who complete the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film & Digital Content program with a concentration in Documentary will produce a series of original projects designed to build a creative digital portfolio of professionally produced content including:
- SILENT NARRATIVE SHORT FILM
- FIVE MINUTE SYNC SOUND FILM
- INTERACTIVE MEDIA FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE
- BRANDED DIGITAL CONTENT
- 2 FEATURE LENGTH SCREENPLAYS
- ORIGINAL WEB SERIES
- EXPERIMENTAL SHORT FILMS
- PRODUCTION DESIGN PROJECT
- CINEMATOGRAPHY REEL
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURES
- SKETCH COMEDY SHORTS
- VIDEO EFFECTS AND MOTION GRAPHICS REEL
- FIFTEEN MINUTE NARRATIVE SHORT FILM
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT ON INFLUENTIAL PRODUCER
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT FEATURE ON INFLUENTIAL DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKER
- SOCIALLY CONSCIOUS DOCUMENTARY
- ADVANCED DOCUMENTARY FILM
A degree in Documentary Film is a great choice if you want to be a documentary director or producer. This degree can also prepare you for other great careers, too. You could get your message out as a Videographer, Professional Photographer, or Video Editor. The skills you learn getting a Documentary Film degree can translate to even more professions — you could use it to become a Project Researcher, Broadcast Writer, Journalist, Non-profit Director, or even a Museum Curator.
You can also view our GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT page for more career information on jobs and possible careers that relate to this program.